Click here to chat with us

What is split cell solar cell technology

What are split cells?

Split cells, also known as half cut cells are exactly what their name suggests – they are traditional silicon solar cells that have been cut in half using a laser cutter. Split cell/half-cut technology is pretty simple – cut each cell in half. So, instead of having 60 square cells, you have 120 rectangular ones. The panel stays almost identical in terms of size and weight. REC was the first company to release split cell/half-cut panels, in 2014, but now it’s standard with most panels.

Typically split cells are easily identified by the line running in the middle of the panel, plus the evidently smaller (cut) cells. You can reference the image above to see the visual comparison between split cells and traditional solar panels.

For those curious to learn the geeky physics of how split cells works you can check out this YouTube video that explains the science in detail. Otherwise let’s look at the advantages of split cell solar panels over traditional PV modules.

What are the advantages of half-cut cells?

The advantages of half-cut cell panels are numerous.

Shading: They improve the power output and performance of solar modules because they offer a higher shade tolerance due to their unique wiring system. This means that if your home has some trees that cast shade onto your roof at certain times during the day, your entire solar panel will not be unusable, like it would with a traditional solar panel. 

Wattage: Another benefit is the fact that they usually offer a higher wattage per square meter than traditional panels, which is the case with some of the brand names you will find on our online store. These include Canadian, JA, and Jinko split cell modules which all offer 390W plus in power.

Panel heating: Additionally, the effects of hot spots are less severe on your solar panels with split cells. Hot spots are the shifting of excess heat on a panel, say from a very hot part to the shaded, cooler section. With a half-cut cell, hot spots will not be as damaging because there are more cells to spread the excess heat to.

Power losses: Split cells also reduce power loss suffered by traditional panels by reducing internal resistance. Internal series resistance occurs just by the nature of energy traveling through the panel via electric current. But because solar cells are cut in half, there is less current generated from each cell, meaning less resistive losses.

Although half-cut cells offer many advantages, they are more expensive because they are more challenging to manufacture, with increased soldering steps and laser cutting. You also need an inverter with a Global tracking MPPT functionality for you to get the most from your split cell panels. Check out the wide rage of inverters sold and installed by Infinity solar, including the popular brands like Growatt, Must, and Phocos.

Interested in a solar system that comes with split cell panels, a 5.2KW Blue Nova lithium battery, and at least a 5KW inverter all on payment terms? Then get in touch with our marketing team to learn how you can get your solar for as little as 30% down and you finish the remaining 70% while you enjoy renewable energy.